Follow me on lovers recipes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 cups sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 28-ounce cans (about 1 quart) San Marzano tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 large basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- In each of 2 large skillets, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic to one pan and the ground meat to the other. Season each pan with 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook until the onions and garlic have softened and are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste to the onions and cook for another 3 minutes. Cook the ground meat until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture and the meat to a slow cooker. Add the chopped tomatoes and their juices, thyme, oregano, basil, and the bay leaves. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or for 8 hours on low. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and toss with the sauce. Transfer to plates, and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, a drizzling of olive oil, and chopped basil.