Follow me on lovers recipes
This Salted Caramel Chocolate Pecan Pie is rich and decadent! The addition of chocolate is phenomenal with the toasted pecans, and the salted caramel topping really sets it apart!
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¾ cups butter melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% cacao unsweetened cocoa (I used Hershey’s)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 partially baked deep-dish pie crust (Click here for instructions on how to pre-bake a piecrust, and here for my absolute favorite, no fail piecrust recipe!)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (Next time I will reduce to 1 teaspoon)
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- Fleur de Sel for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread pecan halves on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in pre-heated oven for 5-10 minutes until you can smell a nutty pecan fragrance and the outsides of the nuts are a darker brown. After 5 minutes watch them very carefully because they can burn in a matter of seconds!
- Preheat oven to 350° or just keep it on if you toasted your pecans. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, stirring until well blended. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour mixture into warm pie shell.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 35 minutes. The filling will be loose but will set as it cools. Remove from oven to a wire rack.
- Bring sugar, lemon, and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir only until sugar dissolves.
- Boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar changes color to a dark amber. Watch it like a hawk because it can burn in an instant.
- Remove immediately from heat and add cream and butter, stirring or whisking constantly until completely incorporated and caramel is glossy. Stir in salt.
- Arrange the pecans on top of the chocolate pecan pie and then pour caramel over the top. Cool 15 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt or fleur de sel.
I halved this recipe for a mini pie dish and baked it 5 minutes longer because the miniature dishes are deeper than a standard dish.