- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1onion, chopped
- 2cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1stalk celery, chopped
- 1lb sweet Italian sausage linksor 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled (can use turkey sausage)
- 2teaspoons dry oregano
- 1tablespoon dry basil
- 1 -2teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 1⁄2cups canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 3 -4cups vegetable stock or 3 -4 cups chicken stock
- 1can progresso cannellini beans
- 1cup ditalini or 1 cup small shell pasta
- 2tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat.
- Cook onion in oil 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add and brown crumbled sausage.
- Add basil, oregano and red pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Stir in tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- If necessary, add an additional cup of stock or water and stir in beans and tiny pasta.
- Simmer for 6- 8 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in parsley and serve hot with grated Parmesan cheese.