Follow me on lovers recipes
- 230 g ziti or penne or similar pasta 8 oz
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (oregano basil and thyme)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp red wine optional
- 2 cups water
- salt black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese 230 g
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cut into small cubes, 60 g
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 small egg
OPTIONAL STEP: Soak ziti pasta in salty water while you’re preparing the sauce (to shorten cooking time).
Saute onion in olive oil and butter until soft. Add garlic, tomatoes, wine, sugar and seasonings and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
Drain pasta, add it together with 2 cups water to tomato sauce in the pot. Bring to boil, cover and cook on low boil, stirring from time to time, until pasta is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Combine ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and egg. Season with salt. Stir half of the mixture into pasta and dollop remaining on top.
Transfer the pan to the 500 F (260 C) preheated oven. Bake until cheese has melted and starts browning, about 5 minutes.