Follow me on lovers recipes
- 230 g ziti or penne or similar pasta 8 oz
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (oregano basil and thyme)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp red wine optional
- 2 cups water
- salt black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese 230 g
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cut into small cubes, 60 g
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 small egg
- OPTIONAL STEP: Soak ziti pasta in salty water while you’re preparing the sauce (to shorten cooking time).
- Saute onion in olive oil and butter until soft. Add garlic, tomatoes, wine, sugar and seasonings and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, add it together with 2 cups water to tomato sauce in the pot. Bring to boil, cover and cook on low boil, stirring from time to time, until pasta is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Combine ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and egg. Season with salt. Stir half of the mixture into pasta and dollop remaining on top.
- Transfer the pan to the 500 F (260 C) preheated oven. Bake until cheese has melted and starts browning, about 5 minutes.