- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey; rub salt mixture under skin, inside cavity and over outside of turkey. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Refrigerate 18-24 hours.
Add oil to turkey deep fryer; preheat oil to 275°. Allow turkey to stand at room temperature while oil is preheating. Place turkey on deep fry rack, breast side down. Turn burner off; carefully lower turkey into oil. Turn burner on high and heat to 350°. Adjust heat to maintain 350°. Cook turkey until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, (about 35-45 minutes total time in fryer). Remove turkey from oil; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
6 ounces cooked turkey: 589 calories, 44g fat (7g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 589mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 45g protein.
Click on the Next Page Arrow Button to continue reading and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends