Follow me on lovers recipes
12 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster and/or shiitake
- 4 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup dry sherry (see Note), or 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 cups low-fat milkMilk$3.29Thru 02/11
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flourGold Medal Flour All-Purpose$1.99Thru 02/11
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese, plus more for garnish
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sherry (or vinegar), scraping up any brown bits; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, 10 seconds (if using vinegar) or about 1 minute (if using sherry).
- Whisk milk and flour in a bowl; add to the skillet with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in Asiago until melted. Add the sauce to the pasta; gently toss. Serve with more cheese, if desired.
- Ingredient Note: We prefer dry sherry, sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store, instead of higher-sodium “cooking” sherry.
- Serving size: about 1⅓ cups
- Per serving: 384 calories; 10 g fat(4 g sat); 10 g fiber; 56 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 82 mcg folate; 21 mg cholesterol; 8 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 812 IU vitamin A; 45 mg vitamin C; 288 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 431 mg sodium; 597 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Calcium (29% dv), Folate (20% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3½
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, ½ fat