Follow me on lovers recipes
- 1 large loaf of French, Italian or sourdough bread
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups shredded Arla Dofino® Gouda Cheese
- Additional chopped green onions, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Use a serrated knife to cut a cross-hatch pattern into the bread. Slice 1/2-inch grid lines into the bread by slicing it lengthwise then widthwise without cutting all the way through the bottom crust. You want the bread to stay together.
- Combine the melted butter and garlic. Gently separate the bread with your fingers and drizzle the melted garlic butter mixture in between the cuts. Make sure the entire loaf gets drizzled with the butter mixture.
- Place the loaf of bread on a piece of aluminum foil that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Wrap the bread half way up. Cover the top with a separate piece of ungreased foil. Place on a large baking sheet and put in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and take off the top piece of foil.
- Gently pry apart the bread and stuff the bacon into the crevices. Next, stuff the shredded cheese into the crevices, making sure all of the bread is evenly stuffed with bacon and cheese. There is a lot of cheese, but keep stuffing! It will all fit. Sprinkle the green onions over the top, pushing them gently into the bread.
- Place the bread back in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional green onions, if desired. Remove the bottom piece of foil and serve warm.