- 1½ boxes chocolate cake mix ( I used Pillsbury Devil’s Food)
- 10 TBSP Instant Coffee
- ½ cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ? cup butter
- 7 oz. condensed milk ( about ½ a can)
- 1 TSP Unflavored Gelatin Powder
- 4 TBSP Cold Water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 TBSP Powdered Sugar
- Make 3 cake layers: Follow the chocolate cake box instructions to make 3 layers ( add 1½ boxes of mix so that you get 3 layers). Add the instant coffee directly to batter. Stir and let sit for a minutes so that coffee dissolves. Add to 3 8 inch cake pans, and bake according to box instructions.
- Once cool, place large plate on top of pan and then invert so that plate is on the bottom. Tap top of pan a few times and gently wiggle and remove pan from cake. Repeat for other 2 layers. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Make caramel: In a small saucepan over medium low heat, add all ingredients. Stir and cook until a dark golden brown color, stirring frequently so it does not burn. Remove from heat when finished.
- Make frosting: Add gelatin and cold water to a small dish. Stir. In a small saucepan, add 4 TBSP of cream and cook until just simmering. Once simmering, remove and add to gelatin. Stir and place in fridge to let set, about 10 minutes. Whip with a whisk until smooth.
- In a stand mixer, add the remaining cream and sugar. and whip with whisk attachment at medium high speed until soft peaks form, it will take a few minutes.
- Add gelatin mixture and whip again until frosting becomes thick and stiffer peaks form, it should only take about 30 seconds more to achieve desired fluffiness. Do no over mix. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- Assemble cake: On a cake stand or tray, place first layer of cake. Add 1 cup whip cream and spread evenly over cake. Add next layer of cake. Gently press down. Add another layer of whipped cream. Place top layer of cake. Press down gently. Place in fridge for 5 minutes to let frosting set.
- Add the caramel to the top layer. Pour in the middle and let drip down the sides. If needed, use a spoon to drag caramel off the sides as desired. Place in fridge for 10 minutes to let caramel set Add final layer of whipped cream to top and spread evenly on top.
- Place in fridge until ready to serve.
In my pictures I added caramel to each layer. This caused the cake to slide a bit once done. This is why I recommend only placing on top layer.